Monday, November 14, 2011

Dr. House

During college, my roommate used Dr. House as her subject for a long psychology paper- and in the process we watched every single episode at least once. So, taking a page from her book- I decided to use Dr. House as inspiration for the design of my new studio project, an office!

If you've ever seen an episode of House you know that there are two factors that are always present in his problem solving process. The first is the use of a dry erase board to brainstorm ideas. In a recent episode, House even found a way to turn a glass curtain wall into a dry erase board- flexible, dynamic brainstorming at its best. 

The other factor that is always present in House's problem solving, is seeking inspiration throughout the hospital. In almost every episode Dr. House ends up observing someone in the hospital and then bam, inspiration hits when he realizes that someones toupee has reminded him of a novel genetic disorder. 
Even out of the hospital context I think that these problem solving strategies are something that could be useful to think about in designing an office for any discipline. Brainstorming in a way that puts all the possibilities visually in front of you, and in front of your peers for input- and seeking inspiration through novel stimuli, are ideas applicable to a wide range of businesses. 

1 comment:

  1. i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

    and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

    i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
    (u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete